Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Year's March Nearer Heaven

Health concerns are a constant theme throughout the letters.  The year begins with two letters regarding ‘cousin Frank.’  With a plethora of Francis Bevans' in the family it is difficult to pin this one down.  Miss Wheeler is obviously some connection within the church, possibly a Sunday School Teacher.  Again, Rowland is also a popular family name.  The Rowland who writes this letter is most likely the son of Morgan, another of Silvanus’ brothers, and his wife Jane nee Tucker.

11 St. Georges Crescent
Llandudno
January 8th/77


My dear Frank,

Since my return from Cheshire I have been so sorry to learn you were not well & I should have written to you before but waited to see whether you returned to Llandudno last week.  I sincerely trust you are now recovering & shall be so glad to see you in our Class on a Sunday afternoon again yesterday we numbered eleven & had a very happy time together our lesson was the 3rd chapter of St. John’s Gospel since we saw each other dear Frank we have commenced a “New Year” I do trust it will be a very bring & happy year not only to yourself but also to each member of your family, how lovingly & tenderly our “Heavenly Father” has been caring for us though the past twelve months. Many have gone to the “Better Land” some that we knew & loved but God has work for you & I to do yet, let us each try by God’s grace to spend this “New Year” in the Saviours service & if we are spared to see its close will it not be sweet to feel “We are a Year’s March nearer Heaven.”  Arthur Cooke has been very poorly but is better again you must write & tell me how you are & when I may hope to see you.

They are getting on so fast with the “New Pier” I expect Llandudno will be very full when the season arrives.   I only came home a fortnight ago being away almost nine weeks.  I saw Mr. Roland today he seemed quite well & was going to the funeral of poor Miss Jones who died last Thursday what a blessed thought to know she was quite ready to go Home may we all dear Frank be found with our lamp trimmed & brightly burning whenever the Bridgroom cometh Accept the enclosed with my kind love again hoping you are quite better.

                   Believe Me to Remain

                             Affectionately Yours
                                      Marie C. Wheeler

“May the Lord guide
thee continually.”



The new pier at Llandudno replaced an earlier one built in 1858.




Designed by Charles Henry Driver in partnership with James Brunlees, the pier took just over a year to complete and was opened to the general public on August 1, 1877.


Llandudno
Jany. 15th 1877


My dear Cousin,

By Uncle’s note on Saturday we were rather surprised to find that you had been so ill.  I just drop you this note fearing you will be troubling about my coming home. They certainly dont expect you here until your are quite well they think with me that you will run the risk of renewing your cold on your journey.  Miss Wheeler frequently asks after you. I expect she has written to you for she has had your address for some time.  I shall probably relieve your mind of some anxiety when I tell you that the Range is sold & paid for there is rather an amusing incident connected with it (in reference to the stand) which I will tell you of again travellers are calling thick & fast we expect a Brooksbank & Owen & Fendelow here to day if they come we shall be very busy.

                             I am dear Cousin
                                      Yours affectionately
                                                Rowland Bevan


No comments:

Post a Comment